View Single Post
      08-07-2011, 07:18 PM   #27
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiation Joe View Post
I've worked with a lot of union craft, and for the most part they are very hard working good people. I've also seen the abuses perpetrated upon companies from those unions.

HOWEVER, I've seen nothing from the unions that compares to the abuses corporations heap upon their employees. I bill my time hourly. ... every hour, to a corporation that routinely screws their own employees out of 25% of their time.

The good employees leave because they can do much better on their own. The incompetent, kiss-ass managers that are left do whatever they're instructed to do and are promoted beyond their competence. There is no critical thinking going on, just politics. So you end up with a dysfunctional organization that uses the unions as a scapegoat for their own poor decision making.

Unions aren't the problem, they're the symptom. If we didn't have abusive business practices oppressing the employees, the employees would not have a reason to organize.
Your comments are insightful and well taken. But a problem is, the employees usually organize as a result of political campaigns driven by union bosses who are as self-serving as the corporate management. The unions are not immune from dysfunctional organizational structure. I'm not sure the typical employee, in the long run, is any better served as a result of union protection.
Appreciate 0