08-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #58
audioMeth
BTC maxi
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
Do you acknowledget that Verizon has lost it's market share, or lead? You say it's not a 'struggling' company, this is always a 'union' arguement, that the 'corporation' can afford it. I promise you, even the largest powerhouse companies are having lots of issues in this economy. All the while their CEOs are making big money, I'm not going to dispute that in many companies there equity issues. But that is capitalism.
wireless has supported the bastard child wire line division for sometime but has just become profitable again due to FiOS, which was funded through the pension of their non-union managers. so again it is not struggling. i could go on and on about why the wire line side was losing business but that again would just be a union worker pointing the finger at management decisions.

Quote:
I'm always troubled by this demonization of contract workers, contract workers are often in transition to become unionized, I'm not sure why they all of a sudden become evil, is it because they are taking union jobs? This type of competition occurs all day, everyday in the non-unionized world.
don't be they will always be perceived as hacks, its unfortunate but true. i have spent countless man hours fixing their "work"

Quote:
You are obviously closer to the Verizon situation then I am, if there are hazardous conditions the Department of Labor and the Law should kick in, Unions are not encharge of enforcing laws.
also true but when the managers are forcing you out during a snow storm that has already accumulated over 18 inches of snow and is a hazardous driving condition the DOL will only be reactive not proactive. this wont save lives. Google Worcester ice storm i was one of the workers putting everyone back in service, but only after the condition reached a point where i could safely gaff poles.

Quote:
This is the cycle right here, union points the finger at the corporation and says, you have the money, spend it. But in my opinion, that is a naive arguement, especially when a company is publicly traded, and liquidity, cash on hand, and speculation are valuation points which directly impact the company. By even going on these strikes, you are basically slapping the hand that feeds you, the Union always forgets that the company is who it's working for, the company doesn't work for the union.
i know this very well as my stock and 401k is taking a dive right now.

Quote:
Regarding the issues that you have had, why not leave Verizon - find a better company? In other industries, companys are creating perks to draw new employees, there is a solid compentition to make the workplace fun, or a comfortable place to work. Why work for a company that you don't respect, or want to work for?

If it is a lack of education, there are many grants and certification programs that open doors...I'm confused why people stay at these 'horrible' jobs, or that if they are so clearly breaking the law, why is the DOL not involved.
i love what i do, i am a ten year lineman, private high school, college educated, but wouldn't trade my hooks for a desk any day of the year. my co-workers are family, the managers come and go. my customers appreciate what i sacrifice after tragedy hits. this strike isn't something we wanted to do but the company was proposing a billion dollars worth of cuts for 45k employees. we were all aware that concessions were going to be made but not this great. none of at the IBEW and CWA wanted to do this to our customers but we all hope they can support us, and put this strike to an end quickly. with out the public's support we are lost. many people have stopped to thank us for making a stand but i fear that most Americans are tainted by the perception of the fat, lazy, entitled, and uneducated union worker.

FYI the company had the ability to extend the existing contract one more year but i guess our new CEO lowell McAdams decided to make a grand entrance. a contract extension would have given us a 2.75% raise.
Appreciate 0