07-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #83
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4inAZ View Post
I think people who have been enthusiastic supporters of a company for decades have a right to be a little upset when the brand they like which once had about 4 model lines to choose from now has more than double that, almost triple that, and is deviating from their sports-oriented history with stuff like this minivan and the bloated and pointless M6 grand coupe.

I dont see how we are narrow minded, misinformed, or self centric for disliking the fact that BMW has COMPLETELY changed their brand philosophy and the way their car brand is headed.
To be fair to you, you've have at least managed to get that out without using the dreaded 'D*******' word, and if it wasn't so late, and I wasn't so damn tired, I would take the time to go back through some of the previous i3, and CAT, and 3GT threads from the past month or two, and quote some of the properly bone-headed nonsense people spew out. I can respect other peoples tastes, I've no problem with people disliking any of these vehicles, every vehicle is not for every man after all, but too many people who I would have assumed are relatively intelligent, worldly people are being so blinkered it's unbelievable..

I class myself as a proper BMW enthusiast, but in all honesty, to this day, I've never put my own money down on a brand new one, and I'm unlikely to (that's what company cars are for ), I'll admit this is for partially financial reasons (as a single guy, over here you save to buy a house, or you have disposable income, but not both) so, I will always happily run a much older BMW for fun, because to me cars like the E30, E28 and E24 are what BMW's should be like.. yet people flood in here claiming BMW has lost it's way and then whinge about fuckin' head lamp bulbs!! Serioulsy! I will never take anyone seriously that does that.

I wanted a BMW since I was 12 and I used to see an E24 every day... I was 22 before I managed to buy an old rusty one ('83 635CSi, Sapphire Blue Metallic with Pacific blue leather) for myself (insurance is a bitch at that age), my best motoring memories will always be those from my E28's, I really really love them, for me next will be either an E3, an '02 of some sort or perhaps another E24 (maybe even an E90 320Si, but I've not had a go in one)... and come company car time I'll have lots to choose from, and I WILL be considering the i3 and the 3GT, is it because I'm a hippy eco-nut or have 3 kids to drag around? No, it's because I don't mind change, or new things, I want to experience BMW's take on different markets and technologies etc.. and as it happens I don't mind the way they look. I like the past and the history of BMW, but that will always be there, and they will continue to write it with cool cars like they make now... the fact they are simply adding to the line-up is a factor of so many other things.... but I'm sure is as much born from necessity as anything else.

Maybe it's just the US market that irks me.. you only tend to get the premium models, yet I doubt it's cheaper to get to those levels in a BMW anywhere else in the world, the brand, and a consumers view of it are both on different levels compared to RoW.. I guess maybe Americans are as dumbfounded by Europeans seemingly welcoming nature to these new cars are we might be of your intolerance towards them. I don't know really, it's late.. I'm going to bed.

Appreciate 0