View Single Post
      10-19-2013, 08:00 PM   #21
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
As I mentioned in another thread with the introudction of the 135i, 335i and 550i there is now standard cars that fulfills what some say is the intention of M cars. Very fast cars on and off the track ( well, the 550 is not that good on the track but a 335i or 135i are plenty competent for the occassional track day ) that is also comfortable and practical daily drivers.

Where does this leave the M cars? Just poser value from the M badge and someone else's ring time? I hope not. IMO M cars has been more about driving excitement than ultimate performance and comfort. It's just lately with the SUVs and the F-series M5 and M6 that they have become uber luxury isolated rocket ships. Especially the M3 has been about driving excitement but the E39 and E60 M5s are pretty entertaining as well to say the least. I have hopes that the F8X will break the mold from the latest M cars and keep focus on being fun to drive not just post cracking lap times and be "refined". We'll see how this turns out but the little that has been said by the "ride alongs" has me concerned.
One factual issue for the F8x is that the cabin is very isolated/insulated from the engine bay. That's disappointing.
Appreciate 0