bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
Hi Bradley. Thanks for the reply, I am hoping to find someone reputable here to try and diagnose this issue properly, so gonna take your advice on that.

Just to be clear, the example that I posted that you replied to was the "worst case" I have heard of this noise (on my car). Its usually quite a bit shorter and quieter. Matches 100% with the other reports of this issue. View post 1 of this thread, the other 2 examples there are an identical match to what others are reporting.

Back home from vacation have most of august to deal with this before I leave for business so hopefully over the next couple of weeks will have a solution.
To clarify (don't want to seem argumentative ), I think you have two separate issues related to these sounds. The rapid "clatter" sound is coming from one source, and the single "clink" sound is something else. IMO, the "clink" sound is prevalent enough that I wouldn't concern myself with it. I know it bugs some of these guys, and that's a fair point, but IMO, the clatter sound is far more concerning.

Lifter knock (if that's what it is), in itself, isn't the worst thing in the world, but it's indicative of deeper issues. Plain bearings (the type found in the crank, rods, wrist pins, cam journals, etc) require adequate oil pressure, or abrasion will occur (literally metal-on-metal). If that sound is actually lifter knock, it means that there is insufficient oil pressure required to pressurize the hydraulic lifters. Insufficient lifter pressure rarely happens in isolation.

I'd have a really close look at oil pressures during startup. Make sure that the equipment used to monitor pressure is responsive enough to register momentary dips in pressure. Also make sure that they check oil pressure at different locations (if possible). You may have an oil passage blockage in a location that won't register at the sending unit for the factory monitoring location.

I'm not all that familiar with the S65, so I don't know what options are available for pressure taps. Some engines are very limited, and just about all engines require removal of an expansion plug or even drilling out a pressed-bearing and tapping a passageway to attach the equipment. A lot of techs won't even be aware that it's possible (if it even is). They'll simply monitor the factoring sending unit, which is right by the pump.

In most engines, this monitoring location is intended to tell you two things:

1) That the pump is generating pressure.
2) That the back pressure in the system is at appropriate levels.

The 1st goes when the oil pump fails. The 2nd goes when you have a worn engine (e.g., too my oil bypass at the mains). It doesn't tell you if you have a blockage somewhere in an oil passage that is preventing adequate lubrication to some part of your engine. Unfortunately, most people find out they had a blocked oil passage after an engine failure. Blocked oil passages are extremely rare, and very difficult to diagnose. Sometimes it's simply not possible to find them, because of inadequate locations to monitor oil pressure.

Troubleshooting is hard. Technicians have a bad tendency to operate only within their area of knowledge. Basically, most are blind to the things that they haven't seen before. I expect you're going to have to push someone to get to the bottom of this.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0