bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by anom3 View Post
Just to be clear, the example that I posted that you replied to was the "worst case" I have heard of this noise (on my car). Its usually quite a bit shorter and quieter. Matches 100% with the other reports of this issue. View post 1 of this thread, the other 2 examples there are an identical match to what others are reporting.
I want to reply to this specifically. I went back and listened to all the videos in the first post. Trust me, the sound you're hearing is not the same sound that a lot of people here are describing. The one video where it sounds like a single "clink" sound is actually just a really short series of the rapid clatter.

I'm not a mechanic by trade, but I've rebuilt entire engines, tearing them down to the engine block. I've even rebuilt a transmission before, which is a fucking nightmare btw. I'm not trying to make myself out to be some kind of expert, I'm not, but I have a feeling that a lot of people in this thread lack even a basic understanding of how engines work. You've got to be really careful whose advice you take on the internet. Just because two things sound similar to a layman, doesn't mean they are related.

It's like when someone says "the internet is down". The internet is not actually down, but from a layman's perspective, they can't access any websites, so to them "it's down". The truth is that there is some detailed thing wrong, that only a person with the appropriate insight in to the operation of computer networks can even see, because they know where to look. There's a lot of "the internet is down" going on in this thread.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0