aussiem3
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Goggomobil

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloo View Post
For you guys burning too much oil with Mobil, try a high quality 5w-40 LL-01 approved oil instead. Mobil tends to be on the lighter side of 40 weight oils. I switched to a 5w-40 and it definitely helped.
I saw M1 5w-40 in the stores and it's a semi synthetic oil. I don't know what it will do to the engine given that we've always run fully synthetic oil. 5w is still better than TWS 10w, but what we're trying to counter is the cold start bearing wear.

One thing for sure, the M1 0w-40 warms up a lot faster than TWS. The other night when I started the car the oil temp was 16 Celsius, and in no time it was 70 Celsius. With TWS it would have taken me a good 20 minutes of driving to get to anywhere close to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaede View Post
what's wrong with mine, it dropped by another level today again guessing it might be the weather warming up as well? During the cold winter'ish days it still drops, but not as fast. Will give it a go for the next oil change (have around 6500km on the oil, will change it out when it is around 7500km) again and see if it is still that bad.

Checked for leaks again just to be sure, but nothing. =/
I am doing well since my change to M1. It's been 1k km and the oil level is ok, although I was surprised it wasn't near maximum given that when I put 9 litres with TWS it shows that mark once the oil level is read.

I am wondering more than the bearing themselves, whether the oil pump is a contributor to this bearing where. I've noticed with TWS, and when cold, the cold start is extremely rough and lumpy. With M1 it is a lot smoother and the engine revs freely.

Experts out there, any thoughts on this?