12-18-2015, 12:02 PM   #15
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 n X5M View Post
The car type, or category of the E30 M3 does not exist today and will never return. The cars did not need all the safety features we demand today (air bags, crash mitigation materials), or the electronic nannery, or the super high performance demands and instead could be focused on feel and connection of driver to the road in a super light package.

Today, the M3's category has huge demands, sub 4 sec runs to 60 mph, 12 sec quarter miles and race track laptimes that are better than a 1990 super car or even hyper cars, and computers that track millisecond changes. So the cars are padded with computers, insulation, air bags, large chassis, huge wheel base and super fat rubber. Only the Alfa 4C or other "unfinished" feeling (light and tossable) car will come close to that kind of "street race car."

So, it is impossible to expect a similar couple to the E30 M3 from any manufacturer. It would not pass regulation and would be too slow to compare to modern BMWs. The weight is unachievable with all the extras required today. An E30-like M3 with today's performance and without the safety would be a widow-maker at the first sign of impact.

somehow, I bet the folks over at Mazda disagree..

Curb weight - Mazda Miata NA- 940 kg (2,070 lb)
Curb weight - Mazda Miata NB -1,065 kg (2,348 lb)
Curb Weight- Mazda Miata NC- 1,110–1,153 kg (2,447–2,542 lb)
Curb Weight - Mazda Miata ND- 998 kg (2,200 lb)

As a 17 year owner of an E30 M3... I recognize that E30 M3 curmudgeons insist that a car like the E30 M3 cannot be made again... however.. Mazda seems to have been able to stay true to the roots of lightweight vehicles both with the Mazda Miata and the RX-7/8

For all the added weight that in autos... there have been many advancements in reducing weight..

Cars made 30 years ago didn't have the advantage of

lightweight plastics
CFRP for roof, vehicle core, driveshafts, etc
aluminum body panels
aluminum suspension components and subframes (the E30 M3 did have AL control arms on the 1991 model)

With respect to car type - compact, RWD, 2 Door coupe - Pretty sure the 1M and M2 fit the same type as the E30 M3.
This car type is still available.. however I do agree that the amount of isolation, and electronic nannies are indeed ever increasing.

Competitors still in this category are the following

Audi TT, Subaru BRZ, Nissan 370/Infiniti G37, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Porsche Cayman

I've not included the Camaro, Mustang, corvette, M4, Nissan GTR and other large 2 door sports cars as they are in a different segment. .

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 12-18-2015 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 1