View Single Post
      07-06-2016, 09:52 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_2014 View Post
...IDK, maybe it's me, but I think it's about time for people to start giving BMW a break for not being the same exact cars they made in the 1980s-1990s...

Thoughts?????
Understand where you are coming from, similar thinking on many points.

I personally don't want BMW to be producing the same cars as the past. We've moved on for a multitude of reasons. Perhaps more so over here in Europe. Emission legislation has had a massive impact on many facets of the BMW brand, far more than the individual model CO2 figures.

For example, where would BMW be without diesel engines? Over here in the UK (Europe) BMW would be going nowhere without diesel sales. And mostly small diesel engines at that. We live with it, but many cried "sacrilege" using diesel, when BMW was all about the I6 petrol (gas) engines, as heart of the brand.

My introduction to BMW was back in the early 1970's with my father's first BMW, a New Class 2000 sedan. With a lot of BMW history in between, I'm currently in an F11 535i wagon and it's the best BMW I've owned.

I'm minded like many other folks that the E39 (owned a 540i wagon) was probably the pinnacle of BMW models for a multitude of reasons, and didn't think any BMW would surpass the feeling of owning and driving the E39. Of course the later cars are different, but so are the times, requirements, technology and ways to achieve the required goals.

Other manufacturers have upped their game, (a good thing) but makes it harder for BMW to stand out. Plus customer demands are now not the same as a few years back, more users these days are not so much enthusiasts, but want a decent but comfortable drive, presented as a complete package. BMW are filling the need, which of course sells cars, satisfies the bottom line.

I personally think we are spoiled for choice these days, perhaps that is part of the problem for some looking at the BMW brand. Cars can be very specification sensitive and the option selection is complex, we do need to get it right for optimum driving satisfaction. Get it wrong and there can be disappointment in the brand.
Appreciate 0