10-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I dont know if its a bad decision.
The supercar might not be very profitable, but on styling/image and technology it can give the other models in the range a good boost.
Look for instance at mercedes:
First they had the SLR, from which a lot of models in the range got styling features (front end). After that the SLR. Again a lot of styling, and that also featured as an EV high performance test platform (drove around the ring 1min faster than the current tesla's ). Now the AMG GT, which again sets new line in styling
Same goes for the audi R8

And on the performance front bmw could also use a boost. They're not top of their class anymore in their respective class. How different that was 20 years ago when other brands had to look up to the power bmw put in their cars. Now the competition makes more power with sometimes even smaller engines. BMW now is at their best with the diesels (compared to the competition)
To expand upon my point, the SLR was done with Mclaren and I think mercedes dominated and the results had been panned until people like Jay Leno and collectors in the Middle East - ( told stories it was the only supercar that could withstand the desert heat as a daily driver ).

The BMW Mclaren corroboration that resulted in the F1 created some argue the greatest sportcar bar none. And then for BMW to built the environmental i8 - that is quite a technological range of accomplishments.
Appreciate 0