11-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #35
1spirit
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
Nice work in your car! I had one of the first 135i to land in the States and could never make it reliable on the track. Even after adding additional coolers, better brakes (mine crushed the stock Brembo pistons at 145mph going into the Bus Stop at Watkins Glen), I would constantly go into limp mode almost every session when driving above 8/10.

Glad yours seems to be working out for you! Nice footwork! At least the McLaren can say that nobody was able to pass him.
Thank you! I’ve come across some of your old helpful threads in the 135i. Oil temperatures routinely reach close to 290* on the track, but with the stock tune my 135i has been OK so far. I do notice the occasional slight power drop at full throttle during hotter days. I run 100% distilled water for coolant with 2 bottles of Redline Water Wetter and Motul X-cess 5W/40 for engine oil. Car feels happier since using them about a year ago.

Reliability is still a concern of mine so I will be upgrading the radiator and adding the additional water cooler from the 1M/335is. From what I understand, keeping water temperatures cool is more important than controlling oil temperatures to avoid limp mode in this car.

It could be that I lucked out and got a specially robust 135i… It has treated me supremely well so far - I greatly thank BMW for that! You have a valid point about the McLaren
Appreciate 0