10-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #16
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanbaguk
Why do people want to do this? Removing the EGR significantly increases the levels of NO2 released by the engine for a pathetic increase in power.

Modern diesels are designed to work around EGR valves so the performance gain removing them is minimal and pointless. If you're worried about them gunking up, try doing some proper mileage on your car or using an EGR cleaning solution.

Also, it's completely illegal to remove the EGR valvIPes and doing so and getting caught will land you a hefty fine and your car will be impounded until it's rectified and tested again costing another hefty sum.

If you're interested in power, try a chip tune instead!

Also, the DPF remove is illegal in Europe too. No idea about the US but I doubt it's legal there either.
Efficiency gains are substantial. Case in point is the VW scandal. IIRC the non-compliant TDIs were getting almost 5 mpg better than advertised and those cars still had DPF.

I'm the US most states don't emissions test diesels and even if they did the testing would only be visual and a simple code reader which can be fudged. It's why the EPA put US tuners on notice last year because they know there are a ton of cars on the road which aren't compliant.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0