10-25-2017, 06:52 AM   #21
MrTookies
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i, 2015 F15 35D

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post
80k miles, EGR needing replacement ... sounds about right, tbh. They don't last forever.

As I posted a considerable time ago on this (and other) threads, various people have been saying 'It must be possible', or 'A fix is about to be released by XYZ company, watch this space !', and then it all goes quiet again.

Here in the UK, where diesel have been a lot more popular for a long time, nobody has managed to delete the EGR and/or DPF as yet, and that's with 5 years of work going into it.
Quite simply, the systems are hard-coded into the car electronics. As the EGR (for example) opens and closes, the car expects to see other readings, taken from other sensors, change (for example inlet air temp). If those readings don't change as expected, then the car throws a fault code.
Thanks for that even if it's not what I wanted to hear... I guess I will have to start learning how to work on these parts ... The chances that something does come out can only get better with the vehicle being on the market longer and people get up there on mileage... so I won't give up hope ...yet
Appreciate 0