Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
How many heat cycles do you get out of the Pirelli DH and how long are those sessions?

What's the falloff in times once the Pirelli DH and R1S are no longer fresh, i.e. second track day and beyond?
When the weather is cool and I'm trying to run fast lap times, I typically don't run long sessions. The engine just cannot go for more than 2-3 hot laps when "going for it". And staying out on fresh nice tires and just burning them up for no reason seems like a terrible idea. I've bought one set of Pirellis new. The rest have been scrubs. I've run the new Pirelli about 10 heat cycles so far and they're still going strong. The scrubs I buy go 10-15 heat cycles of this style of running. The 305's take some work to cord. The wider rubber simply resists wear better---no surprises. I usually don't cord them. At some point, they just really do not grip very well, and I pull them off. At least when it's cool out and I try to go fast, I pull them off when they slide around. When it's hot, I'll usually leave them on longer since I'm not worried as much about lap times.

I found the first 5-6 short heat cycles on the new Pirellis to be awesome. After that, they were very nice, but not like new. The first hot lap on the new Pirelli was a special experience. It took two warm up laps to scrub the brand new Pirellis in.

R1S feel really good for the first 10 heat cycles. From 11-16 they fall off but are still very fun to drive. I usually cord one by 16 heat cycles in. I'll toss that one and over time assemble scrub sets and get 5-6 more cycles out of them. They're not very fast, but they are fun.

I believe the weight of the car affects these experiences to some extent. The Trinity Autosport E92 M3 is 400 lbs lighter than my car. Joe claims that he can get 23 heat cycles out of a set of R1S. Interesting.
Appreciate 0