Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Simple solution if you don't want a software patch - Set fan on auto at medium speed or greater, Set temp no lower than 72-74 degrees
Isn't part of the problem the fan isn't running fast enough? When mine froze up recently I had the auto fan setting as high as it would go, but with the temp set at 70, the fan was running very slowly on it's own. The car was maintaining a pretty steady temp and not working very hard after 3~4 hours on the road despite temps being a very humid 90+...until everything froze up and got pretty warm.

Quote:
Leave air-mixture for dash vents in the middle.
How does this help? Does it allow for more of the cooler interior air to be recirculated? I didn't think it would effect much.

Quote:
Pro Tip: If your coil does freeze up while driving, just turn off the compressor, crack sunroof (increases the pressure differential which will increase speed of defrost), fan speed on high. The coil will defrost in about 3-5 minutes of drive time.
How does increasing the pressure in the cabin and drawing air through the cabin speed up thawing of the evaporator? Does this increase airflow through the part? I now nearly nothing about A/C systems.

When mine froze up I found simply turning the A/C off while continuing to drive allowed it to thaw out in a few minutes just like you described.
Yes, the fan is running too low as it relates to the amount of refrigerant allowed to enter the evaporator coil via the TXV.

The middle dial controls the mixture. I just leave it in the middle.

When you crack the sunroof you increase the pressure difference (create lower pressure behind the evaporator coil) so it'll defrost faster due to the fact that warm air is now moving through the coil faster and it also evacuates the cool moist air as quickly as possible. (especially when you direct the dash vents up.).

I keep my thermostat at 72-74 year round.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0