CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by unluky View Post
The 20somethings on the show were yelling "how can you even live without your phone?!?!? OMG!!!! impossible!"

This is the problem. It is no longer an entertainment device for them - it is their entire life. Every part of their lives revolve around their phone - including their self-worth. When you give a device that much power over your life - you are doomed.

When our parents told us to go play outside because that TV would "rot your brains" - they were not too far off. Very sad to see.
Keep in mind that our whole society has shifted this way. I'm 30, I still remember the days with no cell phones, no laptops, Windows 95, dial-up internet, etc.

Now my employer requires me to carry a phone that allows them to reach me pretty much anywhere, and expect me to respond to e-mails within a certain time period as well. I'd love to go back to the old way with the land line phone, but then I'd also probably be working part-time at Burger King.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post

That being said, I believe we're bringing up a generation of snowflakes. Coaches and teachers have to treat students with kid glove. Drill instructors in the military can be given a stress card! Seriously? Would our enemies care if our feelings were hurt in the battlefield?

We've gone from extremely hard to extremely soft. How about something in the middle instead.

This is true, but think about who made the kids that way - their parents. I'm a millennial, but unlike many others my age. My parents were strict, they challenged me. If I didn't play well enough in a game my dad was the first one to let me know I sucked and needed to do better. In school I was more afraid of my parents than I was anyone working in the building. There were expectations and I had to meet them. These days there are zero expectations, and anyone who tries to put expectations on a kid will be met with resistance from their parents.
Appreciate 5
cmyx6go15851.50
King Rudi13159.00
jmack550.00
GenXer1374.00