shawnhayes
Major
Rep
Drives: 22M5 CS,23X5E,24M3 CS,24 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnhayes View Post
If the only engine option is the plug in hybrid, a manual is not possible. Depending on configuration of the power trains (most manufacturers prefer the electrics and petrol to be separate for reliability interns) most of these will have one transmission for the petrol and one for the electric. The i8, the Mini Countryman all 4 se, the euro only X2 plug in hybrid met these criteria.

The exception to this has only been one power train in the 330e and 540e and X3e (and maybe the X5e, but I don't know for sure) which has an electric "flywheel" between the engine and the transmission to drive it. But even these have been auto only because of technical concerns.

I'm doubtful BMW will replicate that feat for the M5 touring. So likely a manual won't be possible.

Shawn
Aside from all that, considering BMW didn't see fit to offer a manual on the existing (fully-ICE) M5, it's nigh impossible to conceive they'd go through the expense and hassle of developing one for the next generation, hybrid or not.
Owning one of those, it will MURDER a manual in the 0-60, and 1/4 mile, and Mike, and around a track of similar power and weight.

Only exception is the Cadillac, but "similar power and weight" isn't true. Manuals are fun and engaging. Better? Nope. Not anymore.

Shawn
Appreciate 0