10-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #172
Chris Pringle
Private First Class
Mexico
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
I would agree with that quote if it was still 2014, but suspension has come along way - and with slow and fast rebound adjustments, pedal bob has effectively been eliminated.

Even in the XC community, nearly everyone has full squish. Most just gravitate to lighter bikes with less travel, such as the Specialized Epic.

With modern geo and kinematics, the only reason you would shy away from a full suspension bike is budget, as they are quite a bit more money than hardtail bikes.
1. Unfortunately, pedal bob (the effect of bouncing up and down on the bike as one pedals) is still very much real on full suspension (FS) bikes. It is far from having been eliminated and manufacturers put a lot of research in minimizing it, but it’s still there and obvious in most FS bikes. But the reality is that loss of efficiency when pedaling is a major concern mainly in competition where every second counts. For the average rider on leisurely or even spirited rides with friends, not so much of an issue. People upgrade to FS because, without the necessary skills, it is simply more forgiving on the rougher stuff and more difficult sections. Please note that I actually don’t oppose to a FS bike since I’ve owned a couple after graduating from my first hardtail. Take me to Moab or Downieville and I would also choose hands down a FS over a hardtail. It’s like getting to the point where you realize you need a 4x4 truck, LOL. But for green, blue and single black-diamond trails, I personally LOVE a hardtail.

2. True that you see mostly FS bikes in the XC racing community. But when you’re being sponsored, you simply ride whatever bike the manufacturer wants you to ride. For most courses, they use FS. They also test new technologies on these races for which a FS bike lends itself better. But there are still a few courses in which the team manager (in conjunction with the racer) may decide that a hardtail may give them a competitive advantage. Those courses usually involve a lot of climbing where a hardtail proves to be more efficient due to no pedal bob, especially when you also lock the fork suspension. Believe it or not, some MTB racers like to train on hardtails to sharpen their handling skills, just like they do a lot of road biking to work on speed and stamina on hills. This is why it is also generally recommended to learn MTB skills on a hardtail.

3. It’s true that a hardtail is generally more affordable and you also get more for your money. But budget is definitely not “the only reason” why some would shy away from a full suspension bike - your jaws would drop if you knew how much my custom titanium hardtail with Sram XX1 drivetrain and boutique components costs new (second pic above). Some of us have made a conscious choice to ride a hardtail for X or Y reasons like fewer moving parts (i.e., less maintenance and more time riding!) but ultimately more fun to us. The best analogy here is a car enthusiast/aficionado choosing to buy more expensive but uncomfortable sports cars which are a thrill to drive on the road. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 10-26-2022 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0