View Single Post
      04-03-2023, 12:50 AM   #25
deano17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i4 e40, ‘24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWCCA1 View Post
The Performance Center will NOT issue temp plates.
Why your dealership can't issue you temp CA plates and either do your OR registration for you or give you the documents to do it yourself is baffling to me.

I have a custom-paint M3 coming for a customer in Utah who is doing PC delivery and we are doing his registration for him and supplying VA temp tags to the PC for his delivery.

I just completed a PCD for a customer on a Z4. He picked the car up last week. We supplied VA temp tags. Customer lives in VA but registration will be in MT—same tax issues. You're buying a car. Taxes are for the state in which you register it. Can't believe that shipping from SoCal to OR is less than what you save by not using your local dealership.
A couple things.

I assumed he couldn’t do the registration, but I didn’t directly ask. But he did say SC could do the temp registration. He might have meant he does it and PCD hands it out like you mentioned. I’m not sure. He also said they don’t do a lot of PCDs being in CA.

Dealer told me in order to not pay CA sales tax, I had to take possession in my state. Otherwise, I’d drive to SoCal and pick up. It’s $800 to ship to Bend. Local dealer was not as responsive on a previous car I wanted to order. So I ordered an i4 from another Oregon dealer and got a little discount (1.5% off). However, he didn’t get any allocations for the 50e, was not responsive about getting me the individual colors and a couple other unanswered questions. That lead me to SoCal, where my ex neighbor is a GM. He provided me with a discount that more than covers the shipping and the discount I was getting from Oregon dealer. Let’s say it’s more than worth the effort considering the lack of deals on new car orders right now.

Are you suggesting I should be able to pick up the car in CA with a temp CA registration, pay no CA sales tax, drive it back to Oregon and register it and pay the OR 1/2% sales tax then? I’ve read a few other posts here that say in CA you cannot take possession without paying tax. You may be able to get a refund on it later.

Last edited by deano17; 04-03-2023 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0