View Single Post
      04-03-2023, 08:10 PM   #27
deano17
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW i4 e40, ‘24 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocken View Post
Thank you for saying you're baffled as to why the CA dealer can't issue temp plates and for explaining what you're able to do for your out of state customers. It seems like there are other dealers that offer to sell to other states without actually knowing how to do so.
I just recently purchased a new BMW from a CA dealer and had it shipped to WA. The shipper left it at a Home Depot parking lot and the dealer did not provide any temp plates/registration. In WA you can get a $539 fraud ticket(and 364 days in jail) for driving without plates or registration. When I contacted the dealer and explained the issue it was clear they had no idea how to sell a car to someone in WA.

The level of knowledge and customer service you displayed should be what everyone looks for if they are doing something as complicated as out of state and/or PCD.

deano17 I shared my recent experience as a heads up. Make sure the dealer in CA knows how to register your car in OR and provide you with proof/temp permit. I'm guessing OR has a process/requirements for that, I'm only familiar with WA laws.
My mistake was assuming the dealer knew how to correctly sell and ship to my state....
Make sure you know all the right questions to ask. Don't want to have a car delivered that you can't legally drive.
He says they ship out of state all the time. But I have a lot of time, so I’ll make sure I understand the process. He’s delivering to my home. So unless I need to take the car to DMV to register, I will register it right away before I even drive it. And I’m pretty sure we’ve decided against PCD due to the distance.