View Single Post
      04-15-2023, 11:08 AM   #78
SuperLomi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport

Well, got these installed last night, and what a doosie it was. I'll post pictures later, just taking a break from working on the alignment right now.

I did all the work without removing the LCA from the wheel hub.

First of all: I did have to shave down the corners of the bushing to get them to fit. I probably could have went a bit more aggressive, but after a few test fits I got something that works. I uses an orbital sander mounted in my bench vise to do the work.

Second: The metal bushing is sharp, and I did accidentally "shave" slightly a small portion of the inside of one of the bushing caps. We'll see if it causes an issue long term, but I installed it as is. I did this while dry fitting ahead of time.

Third: The pressing cup provided alone was not sufficient. I've seen a few post where people said it didn't come with a "pusher" and that was the case for me - not sure if it's intended to for this kit. Just the cup and a large nut. I attempted to use this alone first, but it ultimately sheared the rubber in the bushing before it moved the bushing itself. I ended up using a 1 1/8" socket as a pusher and it worked well enough.

Fourth: Installing the caps was fairly difficult. I ended up using a ball joint press and another large socket I had to press everything together the final 1/4" or so.

Firth: minor, but the tie rod boots got in the way of installing the bolt in the same orientation as OEM (bolt head to the front) since it's a bit longer, so I installed the other way around. Shouldn't make any difference, really.

Sixth: I saw this mentioned in the 2-series forum as well: there's a small lip on the inside of the subframe underneath where the LCA bushing is. In certain positions the end washer's will contact this lip. This may prevent the bushing from achieving the full range of adjustment, but not by much. The instructions also say to install with the bolt hole in the 12 o'clock position. This position caused an interference with the lip. I found installing the the 4-6 o'clock position to be ideal (if looking towards the front of the car).

Image 1 shows the corner shave. I did end up rounding it over a bit more than what you see here. Image 2 shows the carnage from trying to use the pressing cup as is.
Attached Images

Last edited by SuperLomi; 04-16-2023 at 06:19 AM..
Appreciate 1