View Single Post
      07-08-2023, 09:53 PM   #170
AVB-AMG
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Garage List
My 2016 BMW X5M (F85), that I leased new and then purchased off lease, currently has 109,500 miles on it and continues to run and drive just fine, providing spirited performance along with large luggage/cargo capacity practicality, along with desirable all-wheel drive. The only real drawbacks for me is it’s poor gas mileage and rather stiff ride in Comfort Mode sertings, which I knew when I selected this vehicle. I expect that with continued proactive regular maintenance it will give me 80,000+ additional miles, if I decide to keep it for 2-3 more years. While I am in no hurry to replace it since it has served us well as primarily our long-distance, road trip / vacation vehicle, I am interested in eventually finding something new that appeals to me as much as this SUV still does. As a life-long automobile enthusiast, I want my vehicle(s) to really excite me and remind me how much I appreciate that vehicle when I am driving it. For mostly personal aesthetic reasons, I am not really enamored with the current mid-cycle face lifted 2024 BMW X5M and the BMW XM is just too quirky for my taste. It seems as if the current crop of BMW designers are more interested in concocting various interior light shows than sculpting a vehicle body that most people find attractive. The hideous grill on the 4-Series and XM reminds me of an equally awful looking front grill of the Ford Edsel.

Yet, the appeal of a performance sport wagon, shooting brake, touring, (station wagon) vehicle has been growing on me, especially the current models of both the Audi RS 6 Avant and the Porsche Panamera GTS Sport Turismo. Having priced both out with the various options I would want, they are approx. $140,000 and $170,000, respectively, before taxes and fees, so if the G99 fully optioned is around $150,000 then it will be appropriately competitive with these other two contenders. Having owned two earlier Mercedes-Benz AMG models, the current AMG E63s wagon just does not do much to excite me. Also, I have never leased or purchased any vehicle at MSRP and refuse to spend $10,000 - $15,000 above MSRP to just add to a Dealer’s profit. Therefore, I plan to just sit tight and while I may put my name on a waiting list with my local BMW Dealership for the 2025 G99 M5 Touring, I will wait to see how it looks and drives, prior to committing to pull the trigger on a purchase. IMHO, until we can see and know more about the G99, both the Audi and Porsche remain in my mind as very strong contenders in this niche market. I believe that I am not alone and that others, like me, are part of a small group of buyers, at least in the U.S., who are ready to make a fresh switch from 10-15+ years of SUV vehicle ownership to a new, freshly attractively designed vehicle that compared to the X5M, would conceivable have a better ride, slightly more storage capacity, better mileage, (as a hybrid) and have a rarity factor, all contributing to a very appealing allure.

2016 BMW X5M
2014 BMW M6
2007 Mercedes-Benz ML63 AMG
2004 Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG

Last edited by AVB-AMG; 07-08-2023 at 10:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
Llarry16833.50