View Single Post
      12-12-2023, 04:18 PM   #22
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd^2 View Post
i wonder if the shift linkage will be the same as the supra as toyota massaged that for better feel compared to the typical bmw rubbery throws.
Car and Driver
"The transmission is the same one used in the Supra, with uniquely tuned linkages and bushings to arrive at that trademark BMW shift feel, which is somehow simultaneously aloof and precise. You never miss a shift, nor do you worry about a sting of vibration making its way from the six-speed's innards up to your hand."
MOTORTREND
"The shifter itself is a big step up from the same mechanical ZF unit found in the Toyota Supra. Indeed, BMW says the Z4 manual's shift linkage is physically different than the Supra's, and it sure feels that way. The shifts are crisper, more mechanical, less rubbery, more satisfying. You know what else? The Z4's transmission feels better than the M2's six-speed. Same for the row-your-own M3. Along with the other changes BMW implemented, the sporty factor has increased noticeably. As athletic as a Porsche Boxster? No, but name a competitor's car that is. The 2024 BMW Z4 is in a much better place performance-wise than it was. That's a good thing."
BMWBLOG
"During my ride with the 2024 BMW Z4 M40i, Nick Gerstner, Product Manager of BMW Z4, tells me that the transmission was engineered specifically for this new Z4. It starts with the shift linkage which is different than the Supra’s. It also has a shorter gear lever and a completely different shifting behavior than all of the 6-speed manuals offered today in other BMW products. Plenty of new and old M2/M3/M4 customers complained about the somewhat vague and rubbery shifter in their cars. The first to second gears of the BMW six-speed are always twitchy, with long throws, making it a bit difficult to have a clean shift.

It’s well known that the F87/G87 M2, G8x M3/M4 and Toyota Supra share a common ZF 6-speed transmission with comparable shafts and clusters. Any variation in shift feel is likely attributable to differences in the isolation and bushing of the gear lever. This is the reason why the six-speed manual in the Supra feels different. The Japanese automaker opted to uniquely tune their manual transmission to align with the Supra’s character. BMW took note of this, particularly in response to customer feedback.

Let me start with this: The revised six-speed manual in the 2024 BMW Z4 M40i is fantastic! The shorter shifter is great, the shifting is quicker and more precise (think Porsche transmissions), and going from first to second is extremely smooth. The third gear is still quite long allowing you to take the Z4 to high speeds before having to shift. Couple this revised six-speed manual with the equally fantastic B58 six-cylinder and you have a winner on your hands. The rev matching works brilliantly as well, but of course, you can turn it off if you’d like."
Appreciate 17