04-18-2024, 01:14 PM   #56
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
  1. Pin 1: GND on chassis = Can use any ground, probably use the lighter ground - Correct
  2. Pin 2: LED (+) = I can connect to any positive LED probably going to use the lighter LED - This will work, but RAD_ON would be a better choice, but see Note 1 below for the best choice
  3. Pin 3: Motor (+) = This is the Rad ON PIN 13 correct? Not recommended. See Note 1 below
  4. Pin 4: +12VDC = I can use terminal 30 off the fuse panel or connect to the power at the lighter as well for this one - Correct

Note 1: A motor requires an initial surge Current, then tapers off. Not sure that the RAD_ON discrete signal from the head unit can source the motor surge Current from the internal FET. An LED? Yes, it's a low enough current value which the internal FET should handle since in some vehicle this signal has a fan-out drive capability of up to three other loads, one being the Active Sound ECU.

So how should you do it? Well, it depends on when you want the motor to come on. My suggestion is to use a micro DC relay ($9), 5th picture down provides the schematic/hookup diagram, and your speaker motor will be where it's labeled "device". There is enough room for this size of relay within the dash area, where the larger ones might be too big.

Use the RAD_ON line to drive the lower current side of the relay, and your electrical socket to power the high current side of the relay. This will then work like the factory, where the motor lifts up when the radio is on, and lower when the radio is off.

Cheers.
Very helpful, so something like this. Then I would connect Pin 4 to the same Term 30/Cig. And LED I could do RAD on, or connect to the LED power for the ashtray light which acts like the rest of the LEDs and comes on when the headlights come on.
Attached Images