View Single Post
      04-20-2024, 08:24 PM   #7
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

I have the RKTunes FM intake... and I love it.

I didn't have my stock intake long to measure IATs, but I don't think it's just about that.

I'm new to the BMW platform, so, correct me if I'm wrong, but... IATs on the B58 measured after the turbo, not before, right? This means they're measured after compression, which heats the charge.

The RKTunes FM would naturally bring in cooler ambient air, than air from under the hood in the heated engine bay. Air that is cooler is denser, and thus has more moles per cubic volume. I'm still studying the load based tuning concepts (I'm used to old school MAP based tuning) but it would seem to be that since you'd be compressing more moles per cubic volume of air, that you'd be working your turbo less and gaining more air from the cooler ambient charge. So, in a load-based system, from my understanding, this would allow the DME to lower boost, and still yield the same target torque values. It's kind of the fundamental difference in MAP vs load-based tuning. ...and this information is captured from the MAF sensor... not the IAT sensor.

What does the MAF data show on an RKTunes FM intake vs an under-hood intake in the same ambient temp, humidity and pressure...? With all things being equal, the fundamental principles of ideal gas law would say, the RKTunes would yield better performance.
Appreciate 1