View Single Post
      05-01-2024, 12:15 PM   #24
F36 435i M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
I’m a bit surprised by the dealer not changing the oil at least once per year (applies to any car that didn’t reach a BMW OCI within one year). We have several cars so we never put more than 5-6k miles per year so on our e92 M3s and f82, we’ve always taken advantage of the BMW free-maintenance once/year oil change. Out of warranty we do 8k mile OCI or once per year if we don’t reach 8k miles. We use Red Line motor oils in all of our cars, including the f22 m240ix. The g20 just received its last BMW free once/year oil change. Next oil change, it too will get Red Line motor oil.

Sounds like your b58 is running strong so just enjoy driving and learning its limits without worrying about the past 46k miles. The f22 m240i/m240ix is a blast to drive and eventually you’ll stop worrying about what was/wasn’t done for the first 46k miles!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F36 435i M View Post
That is a good point, I guess there is no way of telling. It wouldn't surprise me if the owner actually worked at BMW, as it's strange how the iDrive didn't pickup the late oil service at 36k miles. It's possible that it was being done, but he didn't bother to add it to the iDrive. Then again, if I worked at BMW and owned the car, surely you would put it into the iDrive so it has a history of oil services.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
No one can say how much damage happened. I'm sure it's not optimal and the only way forward is to do oil changes on time and see what happens . THat said, I would be pissed at the dealer who sold me the car that's for sure.

At least it's not like running the engine with no oil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alFR View Post
Guys, OP is in the UK. In the UK there is no once a year minimum for oil changes, all the cars are on CBS so depending on usage you're looking at anything up to 20000 mile recommended intervals.
Bit of an update guys. After diving in deeper to the history. Turns out it was a pre-reg only used as a demo/courtesy car for about 5 months (2k miles drive.

Then covid hit and it was sold to someone but they only did up to 10k miles, max but did get the oil change in this time, and owned it for just under 2 years.

This where the next owner buys it and keeps it for 2 years and does the big jump in miles. I've been trying to track the owner down and I believe I might have done so. If I've been successful, it turns out that he was getting the car serviced at a local garage instead of paying for it at BMW. This might be why, when he did take it into BMW at 27k miles, the oil didn't show as 'late', because he got it done somewhere else. And he just got the brake fluid done. And then at 36k miles he did get a major service at BMW which was oil, spark plugs etc.

I have no confirmation yet, but I'm calling the garage he might of used tomorrow, to see if he did have it serviced there.

Here's to hoping lol.
Appreciate 2
co_440i144.00