footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sure south, I have a thought.

Why not just destroke and/or debore the S63 to 3.3L (or whatever) and use that in the M3 instead. Sure it is a bigger package, but who cares? The next 3 series chassis is very unlikely to get smaller (though it will likely be lighter) so a V8 will still fit I'm sure. If they want lower weight then they should look at employing the magnesium block for the turbo motors, including the V8s. I am sure it is technically feasible, it just needs more R&D. Don't waste that money on a new V6.

Alternatively, they'll have a successor to the N54 ready for the next 3 series so that too could form the basis on an M motor.

It does not seem worth the development effort to go with the V6.
If there is no performance benefit keeping the cylinder count up but the capacity the same then it's more logical to go with the least weight and that's the least amount of cylinders.

Another thing, a Vee engine is much shorter than an in-line so this will also allow for better packaging inside the engine bay, allowing it to move futher back thus improving it's natural weight balance of the chassis and allow for less use of exotic materials to achieve the idea weight balance.
Appreciate 0