View Single Post
      04-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #79
DBFIU
Crack Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Ford mustangs from 1989 to 1992 had forged pistons, 1993 mustangs had hyperuetectic pistons. The 5.0 HO motor was well built but asthmatic from the factory. A simple headswap/exhaust and cam nets you 80 horsepower on the 5.0L of old days.

This modern 5.0 is coming from the factory so optimized, the only way to get more power out of it is forced induction, it's not like 25 years ago. Oh and YOU BET the mustang boys will be boosting. I am still part of the mustang crowd I can tell you they are boost whores, they love it.

I don't think ford will skimp out on rods and pistons and such, to turn a motor to 7k with 5 liters and make over 430 hp, thats M3 territory and the motor will need to be beef. I would imagine if hypereutectic pistons are used that AT LEAST forged rods would be used in conjunction.

The older 3 valve 4.6 motors used sintered powdered rods and they folded over like tacos when they were boosted past 450 whp, and that is peanuts for the domestic crowd.

I can't even imagine what the new cobra is going to do, probably will stay supercharged and be making 600 horse at the crank.

Oh sh1t.