View Single Post
      04-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #86
MHP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MHP S2 C63, MHP S1 997 911 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBFIU View Post
Ford mustangs from 1989 to 1992 had forged pistons, 1993 mustangs had hyperuetectic pistons. The 5.0 HO motor was well built but asthmatic from the factory. A simple headswap/exhaust and cam nets you 80 horsepower on the 5.0L of old days.
The old E7 heads were SHIT haha.

Quote:
This modern 5.0 is coming from the factory so optimized, the only way to get more power out of it is forced induction, it's not like 25 years ago. Oh and YOU BET the mustang boys will be boosting. I am still part of the mustang crowd I can tell you they are boost whores, they love it.
While true it's a lot hotter from the factory there's 40HP in a 93 octane tune. There's power (though the OEM mids are pretty good) in a catless full exhaust, and there will always be gains going to an off-road grind cam or set of cams in this case. Plus as you stated the Ford/Chevy guys love their blowers/turbos.

Quote:
I don't think ford will skimp out on rods and pistons and such, to turn a motor to 7k with 5 liters and make over 430 hp, thats M3 territory and the motor will need to be beef. I would imagine if hypereutectic pistons are used that AT LEAST forged rods would be used in conjunction.
All N/A 4.6L/4Vs (from which this motor is based, still has the same bore spacing etc) spun to 7200rpm with hypereucs (granted 1 point less static C/R) and shit cast rods. Hopefully Ford uses something on the order of at least GT500 "forged" powder rods, however the rpm limitation isn't HP it's rpm for them so a true 4340 forged H like in the 03-04 Terminators would be ideal. With 7/16" rod bolts they are good to 8k all day long.

Quote:
The older 3 valve 4.6 motors used sintered powdered rods and they folded over like tacos when they were boosted past 450 whp, and that is peanuts for the domestic crowd.
True, rods and rod bolts are shit in these motors.

Quote:
I can't even imagine what the new cobra is going to do, probably will stay supercharged and be making 600 horse at the crank.

Oh sh1t.
Al block saving 100lbs over the front of the car is the big news, super easy to make 800rw+ with these cars with just a blower swap and tune.

Good points!
Appreciate 0