08-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #25
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
I couldn't resist....Ummm...your first sentence and your second sentence was taken as a personal attack. If you read my first post I emphasize calorie intake v burning. What are you a "nutritionist"? Macronutrient !?

Why cut steak?
A 6-oz steak delivers about 40+ grams of fat and about 16 gr of them saturated. A salmon has about 18 gr of fat and only 4 gr of them saturated but just about the same amount of protein (salmon a bit less of course).

Why cut sugar in processed foods?
Combined with carbs and complex carbs your body will store these as FAT if you do not burn them off.

Yes, the debate about gaining muscle versus burning fat (?) Personally I have gained about 15% strength over the past few weeks, thus muscle has grown as I have lost a total of 20 lbs. One must provide the body with the appropriate nutrients to grow your muscles...balancing act between carbs and proteins.

PS...I am not going to site resources b/c I am not writing a Term Paper. My recommendations are based on my experiences and with coaches and trainers.
Your body can store most fats, proteins, and carbohydrates as fat. Whether your body does so or not depends upon your caloric intake, your basal metabolic rate, insulin/glucagon levels, etc -> which I think you are alluding to.

I personally lean towards minimizing fat and cholesterol intake, in order to maintain my cardiovascular health. The reasons for this are self-explanatory.

Also, certain carbohydrates, such as fructose (found in many processed foods) have some association to diabetes and obesity. The most recent study ("Ferder, L., Ferder, M. D., & Inserra, F. (2010). The Role of High-Fructose Corn Syrup in Metabolic Syndrome and Hypertension") suggests that fructose inhibits insulin release, leading to obesity. This is a hot topic of research, though.

Just infusing a bit of medical knowledge to the discussion.
Appreciate 0