View Single Post
      03-08-2006, 04:04 PM   #11
Squawks
One of my two dachshunds:
United_States
Rep
Drives: B6 A4 3.0 Quattro

Actually, after some usage of my rusty little brain that I recovered from the floor:

1) Implement a system where posters can be reviewed/ranked according to the quality/informative nature of their posts from say, a scale of 0-10. The poster's average is calculated over time and the system should have anti-exploiting measures such as tracking who's voting for who and votes cast by people with high ranks (especially admins) have a heavier weight than those votes cast by newbies. Thus, newbies can't "farm" high ranking posters out of other newbies in a "farming" scheme.

2) Allow users to modify their viewing settings. Set a default number where only posts by users with a minimum of X.X ranking can be seen while all other posts are ignored. Thus, if I didn't want to see Sound of Speed's crap or Shim's crap, I would increase my viewing settings from 0.0 to say, 3.0 (all posts from users below 3.0 ranking will not be shown).

3) Newbies who want to make a post to be viewed by the elite (who most likely would have filtered out crappy posts) can post in a special forum where all posts are shown, regardless of viewing settings.

In a nutshell, stupid posts are avoided with the proper, individual settings (someone who doesn't like to see garbage doesn't have to while someone who doesn't mind won't be affected).

So when I click on a thread about upcoming E90 models, I won't have to see a 15-page thread that's 90% filled with total crap but instead I'll just have to go through probably 1 page with 20 very-well constructed posts with good information from great guys like E90Fleet.

Professor Squawks, out.