View Single Post
      10-28-2014, 10:39 AM   #11
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

IDC what others at your company have done and whether or not they've been successful in doing so. I echo, firmly, what many in here have said. Your wife (special circumstances or not) has already made a mistake by submitting notice this early. I hope she makes it till Apr. 1st at her job. Two weeks notice, man. That's it. No more, no less. You NEVER quit or state your intention to quit a job before you're damn sure you have another. IDC what promises this new company made you nor do I care if you have a signed offer letter (only exception being a secure way employment contract law works in the state you intend to move to that would allow you recourse if it falls through), you wait until the very end of the third to last week and check with your prospective new employer to ensure everything is ready to rock and then give your two weeks notice. I realize you need time to move and stuff. Fine. At your level you should have shit tons of vacation. So you schedule that shit for the month before you start that new job and use it as relocation time. ALWAYS cover your ass because your company will ALWAYS cover theirs...bet your life on that.

My recent experience, I left a job I HATED in July this year. I had a full month to plan my exit. However, my employment with my current company (in the signed offer letter) was contingent upon drug test and background checks. Did I have anything to worry about there? Nope. That said, no matter how much time I had between the time of acceptance and my start date, I waited until all that paperwork was confirmed clear before giving any type of notice. Couldn't help the fact that their HR is full of bureaucracy and slow. Well, guess what? Due to the July 4th holiday and all of the vacation time people are given at this company, I ended up unable to contact and confirm anything until three days before I needed to quit. You guessed it, my former company got a "Too fucking bad" and three days notice. I worked hard till the day I quit and burned no valuable bridges before leaving. When I explained to the CTO the circumstances he totally understood why I did what I had to do. I would do it again even with a company I was fond of. I wanted very badly to do the professional thing in that situation and give two weeks, but I just couldn't. My assurance of employment and financial security trumps any company's desire for notice of departure and "professionalism". All other previous times I've left a job was with two weeks notice, all paperwork confirmed, and ALWAYS with a signed resignation letter.
Appreciate 0