View Single Post
      03-05-2024, 11:11 AM   #9
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
It does not specify the number of readiness minutes that can be not ready. I would be surprised if the MHD tune does not allow simulation of the post cat O2. If you have no CEL, you should be fine. If you have a CEL, an inspection station cannot legally pass you.

There is no inspection station trick to fake an OBD2 plug in. They can say the machine did not auto read the VIN and type it in manually and plug into a stock car instead but I know someone who was caught doing that, albeit in another state. The data is uploaded to the state and they have ways of spotting anomalies. Looking the other way on the visual inspection part (presence of cat) is where there is flexibility a shop can get away with.
What does the bold part mean? Is it that MHD is simulating, or showing/forcing, the post-O2 sensor to show its reading are in spec/set without primary cats installed? If they are and it is listed on an open forum then they’re in serious trouble if caught. Reputable companies won’t even sell you a catless exhaust without actual proof that it’s being installed on an unregistered race car or a car that has no active state registration. Stage 2 tunes typically suppress the CEL from showing up on your dash. No CEL light doesn’t mean you’ll pass.

Also, each year more states are starting to check for stock engine software during an emissions test. If you’re running an aftermarket ecu tune you will not pass. On BM3, you have to reload the stock ecu tune AND relock your ecu. An unlocked ecu won’t pass. Is NY a state that’s checking ecu’s? I don’t know. The state I live in starting checking ecu’s between 2019 and 2021.

Check out this link:
https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...98&postcount=1
Appreciate 0