i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Yep...I know plenty of Chinese who like it. I think that may well be a requirement. I don't even want it around in the vicinity before, during or even shortly after eating.

Cheeses, and butter especially, is hard to come by in the PRC, or at least in Shenzhen's high end restaurants (non-Western, of course). I once asked for butter and got cheese, and the cheese was tasty on the food, but I wanted butter. I just gave up because at the time my pinyin/Chinese wasn't good enough, I had no dictionary with me and my Chinese companion had no idea of what I was talking about either. So cheese was the condiment that day.

I don't know why that is. I guess I get that butter from cows' milk needs cows and cows need a lot of space compared to pigs, goats, sheep, ducks, chickens, rabbits, fish, etc. that comprise the menagerie of critters commonly found on Chinese menus. Do you know if Chinese are keen on goat's milk butter? It can have a musky taste. I know why nearly nobody makes butter from sheep's milk.
haha dairy products in general aren't a big part of most Chinese regional cuisines. you'll have an easier time finding cheese and butter in more westernized areas like hong kong or in regions where dairy is more prevalent like near Mongolia or xinjiang.

tofu cheese isn't like regular cheese, but I think its good when used as a seasoning. next time your in Shenzhen, you should try it with water spinach (ong choi)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermented_bean_curd

while you're at it, if you're really adventurous, it shouldn't be too difficult to find dog in Shenzhen. the guongdong province is full of crazy culinary experiences.

Last edited by i dunno; 08-16-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0