bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
That is indeed weird, I didn't read the article so I am not sure what's the methodology, but considering VW made more money and has a higher market cap than BMW, why were they behind BMW?

Not surprised Toyota is #1, their market cap ($196 Billion) is more than twice as big as the next biggest auto company ($71 Billion), which is VW.
I'm as happy as anyone that BMW ranks highly in this list, but Interbrand is such a load of shit. They try to quantify the unquantifiable, and to make things worse, they try to attach a dollar value to it. In reality, it's a simple scoring metric.

It's hard enough to identify an objective measure of brand value, much less a dollar amount you can associate with it. It's not related to any real value (as in, what someone would pay for it). For example, how would you sell a brand separate from the company? The answer is, you can't. The dollar value they've come up with is just a number.

Interbrand is a branding agency. They have a vested interest here. If they create an index of brands that people respect as authoritative, they become the authority on brand value. This gives them purview to pump the brands they manage, and discount brands they don't. Even if they're benevolent, they get the benefit of appearing to be a brand authority. Good sense dictates that a legitimate index would be created by an independent group, or at least by a consortium.

I won't lose any sleep over this silliness, but I do like to shoot my mouth off about it when given the opportunity
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0