05-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #72
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
Congrats on owning one of the modern greats. Enjoy it in good health. I guess I will resign myself to driving her X3 when I have to and settling with my E90 M3

On a sidebar, how's the motor in that thing sound? Just this morning I told myself a funny while driving her car. We had just dropped one boy off at the sitter and when getting back on the road a truck was coming up behind us somewhat quickly. I hit the sport button and got on it and the engine sound made me quote the movie Elf in my head. "Ooooh, you're an angry little elf!" The turbo 4 is great on gas and has decent power, but man it sounds like a pissed off little diesel.
Haha, it sounds pretty good, just the classic straight six sound, slightly muffled from the n/a days though. My wife's previous car was an N54 135i that didn't have as much turbo noise as this N55 (which is carrying around a good bit more weight). It still has the DI sound at idle, so sounds a little diesel-ish.

I like your combo of cars, I've debated getting an E90 M3 to replace the M Coupe I had for a dozen years, but I really want something lighter and just a touch less thirsty. I think they're keepers though and being the last of the n/a M cars it should really have a solid place in history. I haven't completely resigned from picking one up though.
Appreciate 0