krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [10.00]
440ixc....

You hit it on the head right there. What you're proposing is "correct" segmentation and sub brand positioning....which exists to prevent dilution of the BMW brand. "i" for eco/tech, "M" for ultimate performance. All the rest get the corporate luxo cars with performance sprinkled in.

What the problem is.... consumers do understand the M brand equity.... and BMW is happy to sprinkle it on the lower price points to bump sales. That's why the ///M guys are upset. BMW is mortgaging their brand to keep up with their competition. It's inevitable.... in a few years I'll be willing to bet they will cater to the Chinese market and the rest of the world will get their leftovers much as the US dictated BMW strategy in the past. And the Chinese have a ways to go for performance driving culture....they don't have it intertwined like Americans and Europeans in their heritage.
Appreciate 2