View Single Post
      12-19-2013, 01:55 AM   #108
DSB335d
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 335d DSB/oyster&black/navi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemesisX
By the way for the people who mentioned cooking at home - do any of you guys know how to make a quick and dirty parmesan risotto?

Risotto is probably one of my favorite comfort foods but restaurants generally charge astronomical prices for what I perceive to be a relatively simple and pedestrian dish.

I've recently discovered some pretty good "boxed" risottos but I feel like I could make a higher quality product from scratch with just a bit more effort.

I'm mostly worried about how to make the sauce. It's my understanding that a proper risotto usually requires home cooked stock (chicken or beef), but I don't have ready access to chicken or beef bones to make a proper stock.

What do you guys do for risotto?
Ideally stock should be used to make a traditional risotto. Which is why if restaurants are using stock they charge a premium; because it takes hours to prepare real stock. It also takes about an hour to prepare risotto.
You can make something just as good at home with a good quality low sodium canned stock, you can use water, or even white wine.
Appreciate 0