07-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Knowing that you are sometimes of a mind to make posts to sate your funny bone, I'm reticent to reply to you for I don't know if you said what you did above for that reason, but I'm taking a chance in good faith that you mean/believe what you said.

I suspect right now, you probably can quit if you just want to. Ten to 20 years now, I wonder if that'll be true? People have varying definitions of what "quitting smoking" means. Some folks quit for a few years and then resume the habit. Such folks sometimes incorrectly take the fact of their multi-year hiatus as evidence that they can quit. I would argue that because they resumed, they didn't quit, they just took a break, albeit a long one. Quitting smoking is something that requires one also never smoke again. "Never" is very hard to achieve as evidenced by the 7% success rate at doing so. To put some perspective on just how low that really is, more than double that percentage of American households have $100K/year income.

If you can quit at any time, I suggest that now is the right time. Of all the mistakes I've ever made in my life, taking up smoking is the one I will come to regret most. The best I can say for myself about being a smoker is that I have learned a lot from having made that mistake. My father -- a non-smoker -- is 95 and gong strong; he will die because he just dies for there's nothing wrong with his health. He's just old. I'm sure I won't live that long.

Yes, it's true some smokers do live to be quite old. Most don't.
This is some very good information. I smoked for about 4 years, a pack of Newports a day, and had that same mentality that I could quit whenever I wanted. Not only is it pointless to smoke, but if you have the mentality to quit at any time now, UTILIZE IT. I quit cold turkey once I moved from MI to NC and I feel a million times better than I ever have. Plus, adding up the cost to smoke that many cigarettes over an amount of time is crazy high. My father is and always has been a smoker, the wear it has on him drove me to quit.

Better to be healthy, then drive your body into the ground. Not to mention it makes you smell, most women despise it, and its costly. The good vs bad is pretty simple to see. Don't get me wrong, I still have a Cohiba here and there for a social smoke, but that's a whole different scenario.
Appreciate 0