07-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #23
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Knowing that you are sometimes of a mind to make posts to sate your funny bone, I'm reticent to reply to you for I don't know if you said what you did above for that reason, but I'm taking a chance in good faith that you mean/believe what you said.

I suspect right now, you probably can quit if you just want to. Ten to 20 years now, I wonder if that'll be true? People have varying definitions of what "quitting smoking" means. Some folks quit for a few years and then resume the habit. Such folks sometimes incorrectly take the fact of their multi-year hiatus as evidence that they can quit. I would argue that because they resumed, they didn't quit, they just took a break, albeit a long one. Quitting smoking is something that requires one also never smoke again. "Never" is very hard to achieve as evidenced by the 7% success rate at doing so. To put some perspective on just how low that really is, more than double that percentage of American households have $100K/year income.

If you can quit at any time, I suggest that now is the right time. Of all the mistakes I've ever made in my life, taking up smoking is the one I will come to regret most. The best I can say for myself about being a smoker is that I have learned a lot from having made that mistake. My father -- a non-smoker -- is 95 and gong strong; he will die because he just dies for there's nothing wrong with his health. He's just old. I'm sure I won't live that long.

Yes, it's true some smokers do live to be quite old. Most don't.
Yes I was in ernest about what I said. But by your defenition I won't probably ever quit. I take breaks would be what I do according to you. I'm fully aware of the ramifications of tobacco and am a life long athlete. I also am in health care and should know better, but I guess I have a risk taker mentality. I chew, gamble, drink, race cars, powerlift, and compete in a lot of sports. I feel like I need several outlets for my energies. Chewing goes and something else will have to take over!
Appreciate 0