04-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #103
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
No, the N55 is sufficient in power to tow a 4300 LB car and has IMHO acceptable levels of NVH for a car of this class. The 4 banger NVH is a pure joke and it sounds like a diesel at low speeds and rpms. An M235i is considered a premium model and that engine is retuned for as a performance variant... but that is completely aside because at least for the US market, I would never offer a 528i... especially at the price point or with a 4 banger when its Mercedes E350 rival has an NA6 with more power and TQ. Everyone knows the 4 banger is a joke and brushes it aside for the badge.
For starters, the E350 rivals the 535i, the E250 would be the closest competitor to the 528i...which has a turbocharged 4 cylinder diesel. The E Class pricing model is unusual though as the E250 costs approximately the same as an E350.

The N20 is sufficient enough for the average person for merging and passing hence why you see so many 528i's on the road vs. the 535i and 550i. The people who go for the 528i probably rarely go wide open throttle in it I'm sure. Do they buy it just for the badge? I'm sure some do, others just like the luxury and size and don't need the extra power. The NVH of the N20 is fine until you get into the upper reaches of the RPM band. At least that's the case of my co-worker's 328i with the same motor.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the power wouldn't suit my needs for such a large vehicle but I wouldn't call it a joke.
Appreciate 0