View Single Post
      01-20-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
kingofthedemo
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Jesus View Post
Hey everyone, so a little background about my self first. I'm 27 years old and I've been lifting weight since I was 15. I'm currently 208lbs and around 12-14% body fat, back in my 21-23 years I was 221lbs and 6.8% body fat, but those days are over. I am married and I have a full time job, so crazy dieting and living at the gym just doesn't work for me anymore. Anyways, I noticed that the older I got the lazier I got and this was starting to bother me. I started doing some research and watching documentaries about food and exercise, and everything I've read was telling me pretty much "you are what you eat" which I already knew. The thing that stood out for me was the fact that I thought that animal meat (steak, chicken, fish, eggs, etc) was the best thing to eat and that it's healthy, well apparently not. Long story short, we are supposed to be eating lots of fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, beans and no animal products at all, so yesterday was day one of my "plant base diet" and so far so good, I feel great so far and I hope my muscles don't disappear.
Anyone else doing a plant base diet?
How did it go?

That's a difficult diet to maintain when you go for it all the way (meaning full vegan) I started a plant based diet last April, and it has made a huge difference in my overall health, and well being. I had really gotten out of shape from drinking high calorie beers almost daily, and eating out. Now I'm almost back to my ideal body weight, I lost over 80lbs since I started the diet. I'm 6'4'' 212 lbs as of today.

Have you read any of Dr. Joel Fuhrman's books? He has researched over 3,000 different nutritional trials, and studies, and he has written his take on the studies and their conclusions, in his book Eat To Live, which I strongly recommend.

I still eat lean meats and fish, but I try to eat them much more infrequently than I used to, and I often eat vegan meals. While going full vegan is the healthiest, you can still get a lot of health benefits from moderating your animal product consumption, and increasing your consumption of unrefined plant based foods.

Stick with it, and if you get a chance you really should read the book I mentioned earlier. Also if you get a chance you should watch, Fat Sick and nearly dead, it's a really interesting documentary (on nexflix) about a guy who goes on a plant based diet, and changes his health drastically.

''Happiness in intelligent people is the rarest thing I know.''Ernest Hemingway
Appreciate 0