View Single Post
      01-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #143
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

You guys will figure it all out, when we are all driving your competitor's cars & BMW becomes the biggest SUV manufacturer. This level of un-focused attention to your core & uber-reliance on marketing has a cost. No enthusuaist cars, but BMW now makes suvs/savs, or this, or that?

What cost is that? The global market has changed and for the US the story remains the same they want the SUV. Customers across the globe want the SAV.
Why do you think Audi and Mercedes-Benz have outline proposals for new SUVs?
BMW SAVs are huge sellers. That's a sign of the times. It is nothing to do with BMW, the markets respond , BMW has to act and adapt.
BMW still makes enthusiasts car as they already have been but progression of the market shows that customers choose BMW as a status rather than a choice. And this started in North America.

I never heard anyone ask, or make a plea for an Active Tourer, but I have for a M135i in America, or a small sportwagon, or something other than just a 135i/335i. Epic fail and the reason the core client are leaving & trying other brands. Or ever wonder why so many others, have been waiting on a true successor to the e46 M3, because it was quintessential BMW stuff.. ie: 1M.

Once again BMW are present in the global market.
They look at progression from the market , the customer demographic and the segment. 2er Active Tourer is in a growth segment its also a demanded concept in Europe, for customers who have progressed out with BMW but need the space and flexibility.
Active Tourer is a good car to drive because again in amongst the flexibility and spatial purpose you have a car that sits very close to the road more than expected with vehicles in this segment. Such appeal will apply to other markets also including North America.

If we look at the F31 it is being outsold in the USA by the X1 and X3, primarily because they want the SUV. Such a car as a Touring will not sell in the US in the quantities expected. When customers in the US are faced with wagon or SUV the SUV wins every time because of its status.

So, You cannot laugh at Audi for being AWD/FWD focused, when only a few of the cars YOU make, are true RWD.

I am sorry but what FWD BMW is on the market currently?
The Active Tourer is the first BMW model.
If you refer to MINI? Then you should Drive one. It is well praised for its dynamics.

It's called "hypocrisy" and it's laughable that you try to call our Audi, but forget BMW artificially limit their own customers. Again, with simple things such as when you buy a $50k performance BMW and it has a clutch delay valve or no real LSD option, bouncy sub-frame bushings, etc. You've bean-counted away BMW's heritage & it shows.

Not every BMW customer wants LSDs etc as the majority are bought for status.
The option is there for the customer to decide.
BMW are not selling you a VW underneath a fancy frock. Or as known in Munich - Volume disguised as premium.