08-09-2014, 08:14 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansiepooh View Post
No but, does it matter on my end ? I'm the consumer and I like to be comfortable. I'm a sales executive by trade and when I see my clients should I expect them to dress in full business professional ? I don't, they can wear shorts for all I care, I'd still take them seriously. Do I dress like a bum when I see my clients ? Sometimes, it depends what I'm seeing them for.

On another note, when I say bum I meant I wear shorts, flip flops and a polo.
So you are a sales executive, good for you. Are you selling a product that some people have a desire just to take a joy ride in, or do you sell a product that business professionals are considering to enhance the capability and productivity of their business? It's not the same situation. It's great that you don't need to have confirmation that the potential buyer has some legitimacy in making a sales transaction from their appearance, but unfortunately most of the world doesn't work that way. People do judge the book by the cover.

Many times I've gone into dealerships on a Saturday after a trip to the county dump (waste transfer station to you city types) dressed appropriately for going to the dump (in my rusted out F150). Understanding that the sales person is judging me by my dress (and vehicle), I diffuse the situation upfront by making recognition of the fact that I'm wearing clothes that may not be the best reflection of my economic status. It always clears the air and resolves any question the sales representative may have.

It's great to think we live in a world that doesn't have prejudice in it, but that's just not the way it is. Have a little humility and be a bit less sensitive. It really won't kill your ego.
Appreciate 0