08-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #26
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So you are a sales executive, good for you. Are you selling a product that some people have a desire just to take a joy ride in, or do you sell a product that business professionals are considering to enhance the capability and productivity of their business? It's not the same situation. It's great that you don't need to have confirmation that the potential buyer has some legitimacy in making a sales transaction from their appearance, but unfortunately most of the world doesn't work that way. People do judge the book by the cover.

Many times I've gone into dealerships on a Saturday after a trip to the county dump (waste transfer station to you city types) dressed appropriately for going to the dump (in my rusted out F150). Understanding that the sales person is judging me by my dress (and vehicle), I diffuse the situation upfront by making recognition of the fact that I'm wearing clothes that may not be the best reflection of my economic status. It always clears the air and resolves any question the sales representative may have.

It's great to think we live in a world that doesn't have prejudice in it, but that's just not the way it is. Have a little humility and be a bit less sensitive. It really won't kill your ego.
If they judge a book by its cover, they need to be trained better. It's not my responsibility to look nice wherever I go, my wife likes to dress up and look great when she goes out and that's great. I don't, I'm already confined in business professional clothes all week long. I have the right to wear what I want. And please tell me how wearing shorts, flip flops and a shirt (none of which were ripped) is really not worthy of test driving an M powered car. There are a lot of wealthy people that doesn't feel the need to show off their wealth and they dress in average/relaxed clothing. Fact of the matter is, I don't need to go to a dealership and tell them hey I make more money than the 3 of you + your sales manager combined in a year, now let me test drive the M3; do some people do that ? Yes, but I don't feel the need to and I'm not going to scream at them for not letting me drive. It's just irritating being the consumer.

How am I being sensitive ? Because they won't let me test drive ? Is that how a seller is supposed to react when someone rolls in and asks for a test drive ? I have better things to do than take my wife and my two girls to the dealership to waste my precious weekend. If I had no intention to buy it then maybe I wouldn't take them; these reps need to be better trained and think beyond the cover (some are very smart and respectful).

Forevermore haunted by 2 bear pillows in the car.
Appreciate 0