09-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #48
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by late apex View Post
Because they're competing with everyone else. If Mercedes and Audi are offering little FWD cars, BMW probably doesn't feel like they can win over enough customers with a RWD model. So they'll offer FWD & AWD as well. As enthusiast we want RWD, but it's the masses that companies make the majority of their money from. The FWD cars that Mercedes and Audi make aren't for enthusiast either so this is BMW positioning themselves to compete for overall sales. Hopefully BMW has plans in place for some new RWD cars to please enthusiast.
Yeah, maybe... But behind the decision is the greed, nothing else.

This company should stick to what they said in the past not be hypocritic. I guess that they don't have the pride to say "This is who we are, an exquisite company that build cars for enthusiasts".
The main problem is that if they will be everywhere and very affordable, all "wanna be" will buy them, BUT, in long run they will REALLY afect their image and not in a good way. The overal perception asa brand willbe changed forever. If BMW becomes popular and appealing to all masses, many old and valuable customers will walk away from a car that is at every corner. Yeah, they might go ahead with some good expensive cars in top, but usually, the succesful people do not want to share the badge with others, so they will walk to other brands. In long run, BMW will become a company with "record sales" in 1 series but will loose somewhere else; this will change their image tremendously in time. They will benefit from it few years, but in the long run, they will loose the titlethat took years to be achieved.
Also, there are many FWD cars outhere, why in earth somebody will buy a small FWD BMW when you can buy for less money a Honda or Toyota? Even if the prices are similar, why somebody will be willing to cope with their service prices and parts, not to mention the two arrogant careless dealers when they can pick anytime one of the 7 Honda dealers in town? Only if you are an idiot, will buy a such car that cost in maintenance double. Or, only if you really like the car design like is no other, but that is not BMW's case...

In my opinion, it is a bad move, but whocares about my thinking anyway?

I wonder, what the sales associates will do with their BMW provided toys that they use to show you how superior RWD is?

Hypocrits!
Appreciate 0