View Single Post
      07-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #91
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post
Maybe it's just the US market that irks me.. you only tend to get the premium models, yet I doubt it's cheaper to get to those levels in a BMW anywhere else in the world, the brand, and a consumers view of it are both on different levels compared to RoW.. I guess maybe Americans are as dumbfounded by Europeans seemingly welcoming nature to these new cars are we might be of your intolerance towards them. I don't know really, it's late.. I'm going to bed.
That is part of the frustration I think...

We are used to BMW being an affordable premium brand that is very luxurious. Leather is standard on BMWs over here, on many cars a lot of features are standard. This is what we got used to, and this is how BMW established themselves in the US - an affordable premium sport/luxury brand.

The reason so many Americans are getting upset over their adding of these new models is it is altering in a very significant way their brand image in the US. I say it a lot but BMWs used to have this feeling of exclusivity associated with them... it was perceived exclusivity more than anything, but it felt special getting into one. They were the kind of car that people aspire to own.

The problem is now they are reaching into every little market... there is no more exclusivity because they have a model that appeals to everyone and their brother. They are no longer dedicated sports driver's cars with a luxury feel. Instead of making customers come to them, they went to the customer, and long-term I think this trying to appeal to everyone WILL hurt them, at least in the US. These cars have a sort of status symbol in the US, I think most people who would buy a $100,000 7 series would change their mind if BMW is selling a minivan alongside it in a showroom... then all these potential buyers migrate to Mercedes or Audi who are maintaining their luxury name.

Just seems to me BMW is sacrificing high-end sales of quality cars in exchange for low-end sales of quantity of cars. It seems to me this will more likely than not grow the business short term but hurt it long term
Appreciate 0