06-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #87
RandomHero
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATTN View Post
Simple! I like to use the Harris Benedict formula there are many formulas to work this out but I like to use this, a lot has recommended it from bodybuilding.com.
72.5kgs – 7% = 5kg / 0.5 = 10. It would take you about 10 weeks if you were to lose 0.5kgs a week.

A few other factors your should consider when dieting, you should try and hit 1g of fat per kilo, 1g of protein per pound, carbs should be enough to hit your daily calorie intake.

Also, refeed. Refeed is high carb day, eat much carbs as you want unlimited, little to no fats and protein for one day. This is important with someone with lower bodyfat%, his helps raise Leptin, after a calorie deficit for so long you don’t want to damage your metabolic rate. This is why refeed is important and is usually done once a week. But this is another story to tell.
I agree with 99% of everything you said so know that my comments are meant to either supplement what you said, or offer a slight difference in opinion. Again, excellent advice, but “there’s more than one way to skin a cat.”
1) The Harris Benedict formula is an excellent way to estimate your caloric needs and intake levels. While it is true that everyone’s metabolism is different, one of the biggest excuses I hear is “I don’t eat that much, but I still get fat.” Estimate your caloric needs using the HB formula and then ADJUST them based on your progress. If you truly do have a slower metabolism then it sucks to be you, but it’s not an excuse…you just have to eat less.

2) Don't forget to account for muscle and food loss during a cutting phase. It's impossible for your body to only shed weight from stored fat. You'll still lose some muscle even with a perfect diet. The key is to minimize the loss of lean body mass.

3)A high protein intake is extremely important for growing or retaining muscle. However, I think 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass is more than sufficient.

For example: at 200lbs with 20% body fat you’d have 160lbs of lean body mass.

You’d want to consume at least 160g of protein. Eating 1g per pound of total weight is certainly not a bad thing, but it’s excessive in regards to the actual science of it.

4)Refeeds are extremely important both for keeping your metabolism high and for you general sanity. Like he mentioned when you get down to a lower body fat percentage it becomes extremely hard to keep losing the fat. Refeeds help keep that issue to a minimum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHerry View Post
Its really a fantastic thread. Well for losing lower stomach fat exercise and diet both are important. Running,jogging,cycling and yoga are best exercises to loss lower stomach fat. In food fruits and vegetables are best food for reducing lower stomach fat. Try to drink more water and drink green tea daily.
Two of your sentences were true: Yes, this is a fantastic thread. Yes, exercise and dieting is important.

Other than that, everything else you said was only partially true or just crap. That makes me sound like an asshole, but the biggest thing I hate on internet forums is when people give bad advice.

Exercise is very important for GENERAL HEALTH. However, the topic is about fat loss. Those are two completely different subjects. The cardiovascular exercises you mentioned are good for increasing your level of health, but it is far from the most efficient method for losing fat. In fact, it’s well documented and proven that WALKING is one of the best cardio exercises you can do for losing fat. When your heart rate elevates past a certain level your body will begin resorting to faster energy sources such as carbohydrates. While it is true that jogging will burn more calories/hour than walking, the majority of those extra calories are carbs. Simply put, in strict regards to fat loss, jogging and other similar exercises are less efficient.

To take that a step further, the best overall approach to improving your physical image is heavy weight lifting. You may burn fewer calories lifting weights for an hour than jogging at a steady pace, but your metabolism will stay elevated much longer after weight lifting. Much of the reasoning is that your body must work harder to repair your muscles. There are other factors, but that is the major contributing factor. With cardiovascular activity, your body adjusts back to baseline much faster. Simply put, heavy weight lifting will help you retain muscle, help you lose fat, and will keep your metabolism elevated much longer.

Your last two sentences about what to eat are just fluff. Green vegetables are obviously very good for you. They are also low in calories and high in fiber and essential vitamins. That’s a good recipe for healthy weight loss .
A small intake of fruits or simple carbohydrates are good for you. However, fruits (in general) are much more calorie dense then vegetables. I would categorize fruit as a “healthy” food rather than a “weight loss” food. There’s very little reason to eat fruit. My advice would be to only consume a small quantity of fruits and shoot for those with a low glycemic index. There is also plenty of evidence to suggest that you don’t need to consume fruits AT ALL. Simply put, don’t fill your diet with fruits. Eat a small bit for health benefits, but they’re certainly not essential.

The last sentence about water and green tea is fluff. “Drink more water” is not quantifiable advice. Drinking a gallon of water per day is a good rule of thumb for most men. However, that’s very general advice. If you sweat a great deal, then you may want to up that. If you don’t have a lot of lean mass then it may make sense to lower that figure. I am very active and during the summer months I NEED about 1.5 gallons. I generally try to consume about 2 gallons a day. Green tea is high in antioxidants which again is good for health and there are some weight loss advantages, but it certainly wouldn’t be anywhere near the top of my list of weight loss essentials.

Again, I probably sound like a dick, but you gave very generic advice that in some cases was flat out untrue. On the internet, we’re all just user names and post counts. There is very little credibility beyond that. You may think you’re helping, but in reality, your post contributes nothing beneficial to this thread.
Appreciate 0