View Single Post
      12-06-2023, 06:10 AM   #24
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Although I've generally not had to wait long for NHS treatment once I'd been referred (angiogram; hernia repair), the quality of care is another issue.

The hernia repair hasn't been successful, and will need another consultation.

After my worst episode of lower back pain which lasted five weeks, confined me to the ground floor of the house, sleeping on a mattress in the lounge, (not actually sleeping because sleep is almost impossible when you're in excruciating pain), taking strong meds (including liquid morphine) round the clock every 4,5, and 7 hours, taking 20 minutes to get from the floor to a chair each day, screaming in pain at the slightest movement, and taking literally an hour to make a round trip of 20 feet each time I needed to go to the downstairs WC, I had a consultation at the pain management clinic.

I'd just weaned myself off the meds (and laxatives - opiates cause chronic constipation), just about managed to drive to the clinic, was using two walking sticks to get around (very slowly and painfully), had and went to discuss options for pain management if/when I had another episode in the future.

There were two practitioners - a guy who is a senior physiotherapist who really wanted to hear about the problems and to suggest things that could really make a difference, and a young lady involved in the 'new ways' of pain management.

Apparently a lot of pain is in the mind, and this can be used to manage the situation. The alarm bells are already ringing at the point. When she said "you're just going to have to think your way out of it" I was very clear in my reply..."I suggest you leave now, or I'm going to be very rude." He looked awkward, she left, and then we got into physio, core strength, losing a few pounds, sleeping positions, etc, which seem to have made a real difference. I've not had an episode since.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 1
danb19791985.00