Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rated_m3 View Post
Can someone please explain why people are changing the filters? Also, people are mentioning that there really is no distinguishable differences in shifting from before vs. after. My other question is related to the fluids color. Does the fluid color change really affect the quality of the fluid? The fact that someone swapped black fluids out after 2k miles of just putting in fresh pink colored fluids indicates that it’s normal for it to change color. On engine oil it turns brown because that means it’s doing it’s job and it doesn’t necessarily mean that the oil needs to be changed because it’s the filter which is the main part that needs to be changed. It just seems like over kill especially when all these Blackstone results are coming back virtually the same. I understand gaskets being changed with fresh fluid due to leaks, but why not just leave everything else and save some money? Someone mentioned here that there is a fine line between preventive maintenance and wasting money. It seems like people are having problems by even changing these parts out like weird shifting as someone has mentioned here and another thread. I’m at 123k miles and the car shifts fine. I feel like I’ll just end up with the same Blackstone results like everybody else lol
I've done 3 services at 50k, 75k and 105k. The oil was pretty nasty and thick at 50k, the oil pan was leaking so I was replacing the pan anyways. The oil came out pretty clean at 75k and 105k.

I'm inclined to say do at least one service and then plan to do the next when you have a leak. You will have a leak at some point from either the mechatronics cover or oil pan. I tightened all of the bolts on my mechantroics cover once but it is leaking. I need to do rod bearings and engine mounts soon. So I'll tip the engine/trans back so I can replace the cover gasket. I might lose some oil but I'll just top it off.

The oil pan is probably going to be leaking by the time it hits 130k to 140k...so it will be time for a service.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0